Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Natures Influences

As we continue to read and talk about sublime vs. pastoral nature and how nature influences us, I started to think about how I felt about nature. How do I think and feel about nature? I guess at different times I feel different ways. For example, if I got stung by a bee, or tripped and fell over a rock, I'd probably get angry and curse the nature that harmed me. But, if I had just been on a long, hot hike I'd probably love nature if I happened upon a cool, refreshing lake to swim in. In general, I'd say I appreciate nature because it provides us with so many great opportunities. But we are also given many opportunities when we (humans) interfere with nature and change it to benefit us. For example, every year I go to Lake Powell with my family and have a great time swimming in the fresh water. But the water is only there because the Colorado river has been dammed up. It's a perfect example of something that seems completely natural, but is arguably not natural at all. That poses the question, "Can something still be natural that humans have interfered with?" I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment